Re: Debian 2.0 and Netscape 4.5

Robert Lyonnais <rjlyonnais@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> I just finished installing Debian 2.0. I used to have RedHat 5.1 but I
> figured it was time to try something new :-).

> To make a long story short, I can no longer use Netscape 4.5. When
> attempting to start this beast, I now receive the error "can't load
> library libXpm.so.4". Strange part is this file is located in
> "/usr/X11R6/lib" and that path is in my "/etc/ld.so.conf" file.

> Just for kicks, I did an "ldd" on netscape and I got this back;

> libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5 (0x40128000)

You are tunning a libc5 version of netscape.  The libXpm in
/usr/X11R6/lib will be libc6 so it is not useful to this version of
netscape.  You need to either install the glibc2 version of netscape
or (simpler) install the libc5 version of libXpm with dselect.  xpm4g
is the libc6 version which gives you the library in /usr/X11R6/lib.
xpm4-7 (in the dists/stable/main/binary-i386/oldlibs directory) is the
libc5 version and will work with this version of netscape.

Erv

--
Graduate Student                                edwalter@iname.com
Department of Chemistry                       walter@chem.wisc.edu

On a clear disk you can seek forever. -Computerworld button
 -- tagline 1.00 by xopy