Re: Going back to slackware...

On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 01:56:00PM +0100, Peter Weiss wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     sorry, but that debian 2.0 with the apt-package isn't quite the thing for
>     me.
>
>     I upgraded to an early pre hamm using a self burned cd round about in
>     april this year. Some packages needed a configuration afterwards. Last
>     week I did an upgrade using an official 2.0 CD with apt-get. There where
>     80 packages to be updated.
>
>     None broken! That is really boring ;-)!

Don't you just HATE it when it all works? :) My girlfriend keeps getting mad
cuz I keep "breaking" my computer (the one providing the Maqueradfing firewall
for the network ;) )...
she doesn't quite get it...I run debian...I HAVE to break it myself
otherwise I wont have anything to fix :)

>     No tweaking of any config files, no reboot, no complex fiddling with
>     dpkg, no dependency problems, nothing needed to be done by hand!

well you can still tweak config files....
setup your system as a primary nameserver....convince it it is a root
server...(I had trouble with that....all the setup was
fine but missed one subtle step ;) )

If you want broken stuff... point apt at unstable and do an apt dist-upgrade
...it will break majorly...and enjoy (yes thats a warning... slink is in
a broken state...but its young yet :)...guess some developers are
still partying from Hamm releace...)

I did this yesterday and ended up restoring my system from backup when it
finished....network interfaces stop working...X stopps working...
have a ball :)

or...do what I did...
get a SUN Workstation or two and work on porting some apps :)
I ma just getting started with this...it shoul dbe an adventure :)

>     So, great work, congratulations!!

well...none of my (as of yet still limited) work is actually in hamm...
(2 in slink tho ;) ) but its nice to have something to be proud of :)
and I must say I am proud to be working on the Debian GNU/Linux "team"
(man I have been reading too many slogans in fast food restraunts)
It really is a great system.

I would like to also extend my congradulations to all the
people who worked on hamm...and I hope slink can turn out even better :)
(and hope that my meager work on it can live up to the quality of the
rest of the system)
-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"