boot: unable to open initial console

	I've moved my old system over to a new hard drive.  I thought I was
fairly meticulous in copying things over (compared all permissions,
ownerships, links and other special files between the two file systems).  I
edited lilo.conf and fstab, then shutdown, changed the drives master/slave
jumpers and rebooted from the rescue floppy.

	I used the install program to mount all the partitions and to
mkswap.  Next I switched to the console and copied my kernel to a floppy.
Evidently, I have overlooked something.  I only get through the first little
bit of the boot sequence (I can write out the whole thing , one screen full,
if anyone wants it) up to where all the partitions are named and

	VHS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
then	Unable to open an initial console

	Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this ?

	Thanks,

	Gerald