Re: sh --> ash problems (was Re: Output of Anacron job)

*- Deniz Dogan wrote about "sh --> ash problems (was Re: Output of Anacron job)"
| Hi,

|   Alexander> Hi, probably as a result of the fact that I have sh ->
|   Alexander> ash symlink now instead of sh -> bash, I got the
|   Alexander> following email today:
|
|   Alexander> Subject: Output of Anacron job `cron.weekly' Date: Sun, 2
|   Alexander> Aug 1998 09:10:44 -0400
|
|   Alexander> usage: kill [-l] [-sig] pid ...
|
| Same here.
|
| And these are the problems I have so far:
|
| When I`m offline:
| $ poff
| usage: kill [-l] [-sig] pid ...
|
| dselect --> Install:
|
| Updating package status cache...done
| Checking system integrity...ok
| The following packages have been kept back
|   lsof bzip2 xlib6 metamail svgalibg1 ircii xbase login xlib6g-dev xaw3dg
|   ncurses-base xfnt75 xfntbase libg++27 xmanpages gettext xserver-s3 dpkg-ftp
|   xfnt100 emacs20-el emacs20 ncurses-bin libc5 ncurses3.4
| 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 24 not upgraded.
| Press enter to continue.
| read: arg count
|
| installation script returned error exit status 2.
| Press RETURN to continue.

These are bugs.  They are using 'bashisms' in a script that starts with
#!/bin/sh instead of #!/bin/bash.  This has been discussed HEAVELY this
last week on debian-devel.  The apt bug has been fixed, look for a
updated package in slink or Incoming.  Not sure of the lpd one, check
the Bug Tracking System and file a bug against it if it has not been
reported yet.

For a quick fix you can change the offending script to call /bin/bash
instead of /bin/sh.

--
Brian