Re: GNOME 0.20

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Richard L. Alhama wrote:
> How can I make GNOME 0.20 working?  I installed all the necessary
> packages.  Now what file do I need to edit?  /etc/X11/window-managers or
> my $HOME/.xinitrc?
>
> The apps are working fine (e.g. Eeyes, gnome-help-browser)
>
> Thanks in advance.

You can run gnome-session, which will automatically launch some programs.
You can then save your X session with the save-session command; but it
will only work on child processes of gnome-session that are session aware.

Try:
windowmanager &
exec gnome-session

in you .Xsession.

You can also run 'panel' on its own if you want. I don't know if the Gnome
Debian packages have 'gmc'. There is also an "intro to Gnome" document
that may be installed - try loading the help browser.

There will be a new Gnome release next week, I don't know how long it will
take to get Debian-packaged. It should have a lot of enhancements and
bugfixes.

Havoc