recopying the base system file for Debian 1.3

I think that some of my system has gotten deleted. I think it happened
a while ago when I was playing around with rm -r logged in as root. I
have since wised up and don't do such foolish things. The system seems to
work pretty well except that I cannot get some programs to install like
Pine or Elm. I think that some of my system is missing and was wondering if
there is an easy way to reinstall all the base system files without screwing
up my system. I am running Debian 1.3 and would like to some day run 2.0,
but I don't want to do anything serious like that until I get my system in
order.

--
Thanks,
Keith

You only get one chance at life, but if you do it right, you only need one.