Re: Linus Torvalds interview

On 02-Aug-98 Steve Lamb wrote:
>     My secret is that I do not run Microsoft applications.  I find that the
> applications are shoddy, poorly written, thought out, implimented and are
> often incompatible with themselves in their own versions.
>
>     I run Win95 for games written by other software companies and WinNT for
> applications written by other software companies.  That combonation proves
> quite stable.

That may be the best thing written on this topic. I agree with the first
paragraph from experience, for the most part. Not being an NT user I can't
answer for the second, though the principles supposed to underly NT design
do seem to be what Win should have been based on in the first place.

This is why Linux needs the good applications ported to it: there is no doubt
that a lot of the applications available for DOS/Win3.1/Win95 are excellent,
and if you need them then you have to find a way of running them.

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: 02-Aug-98                                       Time: 13:15:38