Re: Linus Torvalds interview

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998 01:37:43 -0400 (EDT), tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

>Why? I didn't have to update the drivers of Linux. It came up and running.
>Win95 on the other hand kept on insisting on rebooting the system for each
>"updated driver".

    Sure you do.  It is just called recompiling the kernel.  And Windows
didn't insist upon it.  It *ASKED* you if you wanted to reboot.  Since I knew
I had replaced the entire machine around the HD (OS) I told it no until it
booted up, then I just it down and restarted.  Worked just fine.  Just
because it prompts you for something doesn't mean you have to say "Yes".

>Ok, let's talk a concrete example: I loaded "Barney on the farm" for my
>daughter (Official MS Win95 game for children). The setup routine got to >the "Parent's Room" segment of the installation. I was not given a choice >as to whether or not I wanted IE installed. The setup routine announced >that it was installing IE (and all necessary support) PERIOD. No 'cancel' >buttons available!

    This is because IE offers something that Netscape doesn't.  It allows
itself to be intergrated into the program in question.  Chances are portions
of that program allow you (or your daughter, in this case) to go out onto the
web.  They didn't build a new browser into it, they used the hooks in IE.

    No, I don't like it either, but there is an explination for it.  Same
thing happened to me with Quicken98 Deluxe and I promptly bitched about it.

    My secret is that I do not run Microsoft applications.  I find that the
applications are shoddy, poorly written, thought out, implimented and are
often incompatible with themselves in their own versions.

    I run Win95 for games written by other software companies and WinNT for
applications written by other software companies.  That combonation proves
quite stable.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my