Re: /usr/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86

Well, in my opinion the X server install should detect that you've changed these files
and not overwrite them. I might also be so bold as to suggest that the package
maintainer should add a keymap which is "normal" like we like it (does not change the
tried and true meaning of the ALT key) and make it the default.

Lee Bradshaw wrote:

> Thanks for the help Jens.
>
> I had indeed modified the X server to use xkb in order to get backspace
> working properly. I edited the /usr/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86 to change
> xkb_symbols from pc105 to pc101. As you pointed out pc105 was mapping my
> alt keys to alt and the non-existent windows keys to meta.
>
> Does anyone know of a better way to solve this problem? Should I have
> rerun one of the X setup or config programs?
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 1998 at 10:25:59AM -0400, Lee Bradshaw wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sometime between Saturday and Monday morning my Alt keys stopped working
> > in Xemacs. I thought the only change I made was adding
> >
> >   (setq delete-key-deletes-forward t)
> >
> > however after backing out this change Alt still doesn't work. The
> > Ctrl-Alt-Fx combination still works to change to a virtual terminal from
> > X, so the alt key seems to be working.
> >

> > Ex. <Alt-x> prints "A-x not defined" in the minibuffer. "Esc-x" prints the
> > correct "M-x".
> >
> > I tried to insert the character into a buffer with <Ctrl-q><Alt-x>. I received
> > the following message in the minibuffer:
> >
> >   key read cannot be inserted in a buffer: #<keypress-event alt-x>
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on debugging this problem?
>
> --
> Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
> Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com
>
> --