can't see Toshiba modem

I've got Debian 1.3.1/2.0.29 on my Toshiba Tecra 520 CDT laptop, and can't
seem to find the modem.  Win95 finds it fine at COM2, and minicom in Linux
USED to find it at /dev/ttyS1, but now it can't.  I have added lots of
software since then, so might have screwed something up, but can't figure
out what.

Symptom:
-------
Enter minicom, get usual message "initializing modem", but get no sound.
Type ctrl-A E (echo on -- used to be unnecessary)
Type atdt5453700 -- get no response, no "OK", no dialing sound, no
connection.
Try all of /dev/ttyS[0-3] and /dev/cua[0-3] to no avail

/dev/modem is linked to /dev/ttyS1, as when it worked, and BIOS shows the
built-in modem at IRQ3.

Thanks for any suggestions!