Help required SB16 PnP

Hi EveryOne !

I'm trying to enable sound support on my Debian system which, according to
the reading I've done, requires recompilation of the kernel.

Using config (the how-to or readme suggested that xconfig is not the best
to use ?) I have configured everything that I want except SOUND!!!

The readme file says that PnP is not supported - is this still the case ?
If PnP is not directly supported can anyone advise how to work around to
enable this card to work ? ( I'm sure I'm not the only Debian user with a
PnP sound card !!! )

I can't remember exactly the boot remarks but is similar to
	sound configuration started
	sound configuration stopped
The readme or how-to indicates that I should expect information regarding
the type of support being initiated between the starting and the stopping.
The lack of information apparently indicates that the support has been
compiled but that the card is not detected.

I therefore assume that the device settings that I am using are wrong.

FYI, the Win95 settings are :

IRQ	05
DMA	01
DMA	03
I/O RANGE	0220 - 022F
I/O RANGE	0330 - 0331
I/I RANGE	0388 - 038B

I used :

IRQ	05
DMA	01
DMA	03
I/O BASE	220 (first time)
I/O BASE	330 (second time)

<<<< is Linux reading these numbers as decmial or hex ? >>>>

The next time I recompiled I used

IRQ	05
DMA	01
DMA	05 (after noting that 3 is not on the "allowed" list !)
I/O BASE	330
I/O BASE	388

Still no sound !

Any help very much appreciated.