Re: new imap-4.2-1 and lockfiles

Oh dear, I had a feeling something like this might happen.  Unfortunately
because the critical security bug in imap had to be fixed with just hours
to go before the hamm deadline, I wasn't able to test as thouroughly as I
wanted to.  I'm sorry.

imapd has the wrong permissions.  It should be 2755, root.mail.
According to debian policy (policy manual section 4.5) /var/spool/mail
should be 2775, mail.mail .  This is what I've got on all my debian
systems and the funny thing is locking does seem to work.  If for instance
I open MS outlook express to a folder and then open the same folder in
pine, outlook gives me an error about "Lost mailbox lock."  as it should.
So I don't know if it is the problem or your non-standard permissions.

I am compiling a fixed version of the package as we speak.  I suggest you
try that and see if that works.  (or you can just set the permissions of
imapd yourself.)  If that doesn't work try changing your mailspool
permissions to the Debian standard.  If that doesn't work either, I'll
investigate further.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>