Re: xfstt final setup questions.

On Sun, Jul 05, 1998 at 01:43:27AM +0200, Christopher Barry wrote:
> Hello everyone,

Hi...
sorry I took so long to reply, I don't always have tiome to read the
debian-user list...its hard enough keeping up with all the other
debian-* lists I read.
[I am the xfstt maintainer btw]

> FontPath   "unix/:7100"

just a warning...this will change RSN. portno 7100 conflicts with
xfs (x font server...in xbase package). I will be moving the default port for
xfstt to 7101...it hasn't happend yet...but RSN it will

> entry to /etc/X11/XF86Config and when I first tried starting x it failed
> and spewed a ton of errors so I switched to a new virtual console and
> typed xfstt and then switched back and tried startx again and this time
> it worked, and I am able to select ttf fonts in Netscape now and WOW!!!
> what a difference, it's really nice. I'm assuming the problem lies with
> init.d but the above thread seemed to suggest that the latest xfstt
> installs the proper init.d for you so once you copy over the ttf fonts
> and add the FontPath line to XF86Config you are set to go, but I'm not
> there yet as I must manually start xfstt in another console. So what do
> I need to do?

The latest version of xfstt is in slink (unstable). It works (I mean..
_I_ am using it :) ) It DOES have an init.d script...and the script works
fine for me...still might get some tweaking tho...
BUG: /etc/init.d/xfstt is NOT a conffile in the current package
this means basically this...if you modify the init.d script and
you install a new version...your changes will be lost.

This will also be fixed RSN (at the same time as the port 7100 thing)
The current version has already moved the location of the truetype
fonts dir from /var/ttfonts to /usr/share/fonts/truetype
this is because /var/ttfonts violates both the fsstnd and the fhs very
flagrantly.

-Steve

--
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **