Xserver lockup with Mystique

Hi,
I am having and have had problems running XF86s
xserver on a Matrox Mystique.

The problem is this :
Either the xerver is started by startx or xdm.
Xserver starts,  I log in. I open  and close
a couple of xterms. Fine. Do a bit of cd to
various directories. Fine.
I get advanced,  I do ls in various directories
it might work or the xserver locks up denying
me keyboard and mouse and text stops scrolling
in xterms. After rebooting I find no errors in
/var/log section. X -probeonly returns nothing
strange. I implement isapnp for all things on my
soundcard. No help there.

A variation on the problem on the lockup
is that ls seems to work. I put it to test
by zcat /usr/doc/HOWTO/*
which most definitely kills my xserver.

Clarification, at lockups I see a still picture
of the X environment unable to leave with
ctrl alt  F1 F2 etc

In debian stable 1.2 I noticed that
my programs kept running in such cases since
my harddrive was accessed and when rebooting
when harddrive finished. My output data files
are complete.  I have not tried this with Debian2.0

I leave things be buy myself 2  other pci cards
(mpeg  and a vodoo2 I run win95 with no problems).
Decide to upgrade bios in motherboard and mystique
to latest versions. I upgrade to Debian 2.0.
Nothing has changed. Right now I run a non-modified kernel
2.0.34 after having a 2.0.30 both custom and not.

What is wrong ? How can I trace the problem ?
X -probeonly, xdm-errors shows nothing of interest.

Anxiously waiting for som help.

Thanx so far for your interest.

Greetings from Stockholm !!

Pjo

Per Olsson
e-mail:pjo@mech.kth.se

p.s.
Below from /proc/pci
PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device  19, function  0:
    Multimedia video controller: 3Dfx Voodoo2 (rev 2).
      Fast devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfb000000.
  Bus  0, device  17, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: Matrox Mystique (rev 2).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xffbec000.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xff000000.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfe000000.
  Bus  0, device  15, function  0:
    Multimedia video controller: Unknown vendor VXP524 (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xffe00000.
  Bus  0, device   7, function  1:
    IDE interface: Intel 82371SB PIIX3 IDE (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      I/O at 0xffa0.
  Bus  0, device   7, function  0:
    ISA bridge: Intel 82371SB PIIX3 ISA (rev 1).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  No bursts.
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Intel 82441FX Natoma (rev 2).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.