From: Ionut Borcoman at debian [mailto:borco@mailbox.ro]
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 1998 12:11 AM
To: Shaleh
Subject: Re: Package to list all other packages in distribution?

Shaleh wrote:

> I have a tk app which reads the currently installed packages list and
> lists them alphabetically.  It also shows the files that each package
> contains.  It is very handy.  I have the tk source (obviously) I lack
> the accompanying C source for its lib.  I have contacted the author and
> hope he will respond.  The app is called dpkgview and if ANYONE has its
> source please say so, loudly.  I would be glad to package it for Debian
> or someone else can.

I've seen one using QT and KDE. It was a front-end for debs and rpms. At
the time I've try it, it failed to install anything. But it was able to
display in a 'explorer' like style the packages installed. Here is it's
lsm:

Begin
Title:          kpackage
Version:        0.7
Author:         Damyan Pepper, Toivo Pedaste + others
Maintained-by:  Toivo Pedaste (toivo@ucs.uwa.edu.au)
Primary-site:   ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/pub/k
Alternate-site: ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/apps/admin
Home-Page:      http://www.general.uwa.edu.au/u/toivo/kpackage
Platform:       Linux with Qt-1.31 GUI library and KDE Beta-1
Copying-policy: GPL

I didn't check the state of it recently, but it looked promising.

Ionutz