Re: What package has "patch"?

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 07:17:59PM -0700, Christopher Barry wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Which package contains the "patch" utility? I've installed perl-base,
> perl-tk and the basic perl5 package and I was sure one of these would
> have it, but guess not. So where is it?

It is in the patch package (a fact other people already pointed out), and it
has nothing special to do with perl at all. Perl is a script programming
language, patch a development tool. Patch applies a "diff" to the source
code. The diff command makes a text file of the changes applied to a source
tree, assuming you still have the original files. Then you can transfer the
patch, and everybody with the original source can "apply" the patch and has
then the same changes as you.

Marcus