Re: Compiling the kernel?

On Sun, 05 Jul 1998, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm a fairly new Linux user, and am really starting to enjoy Linux and
>the Debian distribution. I'm running Hamm which I have downloaded and
>installed in bits and pieces with the help of dftp and dpkg. I also have
>the KDE beta4 desktop, the glib version of Communicator 4.05, and the
>Tkdesk file manager. I'm impressed - not bad at all!
>
>Anyway, I'm trying to learn how to configure and compile the kernel. I
>have the 2.0.33 kernel source and header packages properly installed
>(dpkg is happy anyway), and the /usr/include links set up correctly as
>stated in the source documentation. I then do the following:
>
>cd /usr/src/linux
>make mrproper
>make xconfig  (then configure, save, and exit)
>make dep
>make clean
>make zImage
>
>The compile proceeds for a few minutes, and then exits with these lines:
>
>as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
>make[1]: as86 Command not found
>make[1]: *** [bootsect.o] Error 127
>make[1]: Leaving directory 'usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.33/arch/i386/boot'
>make: *** [zImage] Error 2
>
>It does leave a vmlinuz image file in /usr/src/linux which is about the
>same size as my current kernel, but when I install it in /boot and run
>lilo, it complains about "kernel image too large", or similar words. I
>restored the original so it's no problem as far as running, but does
>anyone have an idea what the problem might be, or where to read up on
>it?
>
>Will appreciate any help. Thanks
>
>Tom

Hi Tom,

you should install the following package (pasted from dselect description):

+bin86 - 16-bit assembler and loader

+This is the as86 and ld86 distribution written by Bruce Evans. It's a
+complete 8086 assembler and loader which can make 32-bit code for the 386+
+processors (under Linux it's used only to create the 16-bit bootsector and
+setup binaries).

usually if you compile the kernel with "make zImage" the compressed
(installable) kernel image is in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage.

use this one for lilo, loadlin or however you start your system.

don't forget to compile (make modules) and install (make modules_install) the
kernels modules also ....

Cheers

Reinhold