Compiling the kernel?

Hello,

I'm a fairly new Linux user, and am really starting to enjoy Linux and
the Debian distribution. I'm running Hamm which I have downloaded and
installed in bits and pieces with the help of dftp and dpkg. I also have
the KDE beta4 desktop, the glib version of Communicator 4.05, and the
Tkdesk file manager. I'm impressed - not bad at all!

Anyway, I'm trying to learn how to configure and compile the kernel. I
have the 2.0.33 kernel source and header packages properly installed
(dpkg is happy anyway), and the /usr/include links set up correctly as
stated in the source documentation. I then do the following:

cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
make xconfig  (then configure, save, and exit)
make dep
make clean
make zImage

The compile proceeds for a few minutes, and then exits with these lines:

as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
make[1]: as86 Command not found
make[1]: *** [bootsect.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory 'usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.33/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [zImage] Error 2

It does leave a vmlinuz image file in /usr/src/linux which is about the
same size as my current kernel, but when I install it in /boot and run
lilo, it complains about "kernel image too large", or similar words. I
restored the original so it's no problem as far as running, but does
anyone have an idea what the problem might be, or where to read up on
it?

Will appreciate any help. Thanks

Tom