Re: Mirrored Drives?

On Fri, Jul 03, 1998 at 06:13:35PM -0400, Chris Brown wrote:
> I'm looking to increase the reliability (fault tolerance) of a system
> that's using IDE drives.
>
> Is there a way to add a second identical drive and have the the OS
> mirror the data on the partitions? such that if one drive actually
> crashed, the OS would keep running or at least be restarted with
> little data loss?

Take a look at the mdutils package.  You can do mirroring (RAID 1), but
you'll have to re-partition your disks.  I doubt it can continue to run
during a hardware failure, though, and it's a pain in the butt to boot
from a Linux md (RAID) device.

Newer kernels offer RAID 5, which may be a better solution.  I think
you need three or more disks.  Patches are probably available for 2.0.x
kernels.  For this, look at the raidtools package.

Jeff