Re: serial troubles

In article <[🔎] Pine.SUN.3.95.980702095628.4332D-100000@noel.pd.org>,
Chea Prince <cprince@noel.pd.org> wrote:

>have included serial support in the kernel and on bootup shows serial
>devices being assigned to /dev/cua0 /dev/cua1 and /dev/ttyS0
>/dev/ttyS1 but 'cat /proc/interrupts' shows no serial devices at
>IRQ 3 & 4.

That's OK; the interrupts are only allocated when the port is actually
opened. You see, you can't share interrupts at the same time between
devices but 2 devices can use the same interrupt if they are not used
at the same time. That's why IRQs are only allocated when used.

>can dialout fine from minicom but ppp script fails
>(can't initialize the modem).

Smells like a modem problem. Maybe the modem is set to non-echo? Try using
the init string from minicom in the ppp script.

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.