ASUS SC875 and debian 1.3.1 install problems

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to linux, or trying to be since I have not been able to
install it on my system.  I have the install/bootable CD but since my drive
is SCSI it will not boot.  So I rawrite2'ed a rescue floppy to install
from.  It detects the sc875 SCSI controler as an NCR875, which I believe is
correct for the controler chip.  Then leaves the following 2 messages and
hangs:

SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
ncr53c875-0: restart (scsi bus reset)

Any ideas on a work around?  I downloaded the Caldera "minimal" install and
it installs fine and detects the SCSI controller correctly and I can access
the CD fine.  I have the full version of debian on CD and would like to use
debian.  I'm a newbie at Linux so talk in small words please.

Thanks in advance,