smail

Hello,

  I've asked a question about mail before and got a little help.  I can now
run fetchmail(thanks to whoever showed me how to setup .fetchmailrc).  So I
can READ my messages.  However, I still don't know how to setup smail so I
can send my mail.  I posted a little info about my
connection/hostname,etc... but I think I'll do it again.  If anyone can tell
me what to do to send mail from my system it would be greatly appreciated.
Here's the basic info...

hostname:castle-of-lions  (thanks to whoever told me to use '-' instead of '_')
mail server:mail.inxpress.net (it also might be ns1.inxpress.net)
username:kingalfor

A couple questions.  When I tried setting it up to use my ISP's mail server,
it tried using my castle-of-lions hostname, and then said 'no fqdn name
found'(or something to that effect) Is that because it's trying to use my
computer as the server?  Also, since my net username is kingalfor, do I have
to have a user like that on my computer?  Since linux won't let me use
kingalfor, I've got my primary account(after root) as alfor.  If there's any
info that I left out, please let me know and I'll get back to you on it.  I
really need to get it set up so I can quit using my friends computer for
e-mail.  Is there a better mail send program to use(easier to configure?).
I've seen qmail ,sendmail, smail, and smail sounds like the one I should use
for what I need.

OK, one last question kind of pertaining to this...
I'm using tin to read news, and I'd like to post messages, however, it
automatically starts vi.  Is there a way I can get it to use a different
editor?  I got elm to use edit instead of vi.  I would think you could
configure tin to use something else.  I know vi is powerful, but call me
wuss... I really don't want to learn it.  I've seen something about a
command like EDITOR='editor_name'.  I forgot where I read about it, but it
made it sounds as if that will set up a default editor so that programs call
that one instead of vi or what have you.  If I'm wrong about this, could you
tell me what this does, and how to use it?

Thanks in Advance,
-dave