upgrading kernel info

I've been a 2.0.30 kernel (Debian 1.3.1) user for a
few months now and have stumbled across a couple of
apps that suggest a kernel update, (ftape, xtvscreen
to name a few).  All of the references I can find from
debian.org refer only to the Debian release and not
the kernel version.

I'm looking for specific info on getting the code for
and building a more recent kernel.  What all is entailed?
Will I need to first upgrade dkpg?  Do I need to say
goodbye to all my apps with libc5 dependencies?

My initial install was done from the InfoMagic cd set,
forth quarter 97.  First quarter 98 didn't include
Debian and I'm not about to chage distributions.  What's
up with InfoMagic and why aren't they including Debian
any longer?

TIA

--
Jack Varga
jvarga@frisco.net
--
No house should ever be on any hill or on anything.  It
should be of the hill, belonging to it.