Re: AOL and spam (way OFFTOPIC)

> "M.C. Bezemer" <neutron@panic.et.tudelft.nl> writes:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Just in case you didn't yet notice, it seems that the spam mail
> > on the debian-user list is coming from only ONE sender.
>
> Well, all the spam that came from aol.
>
> I notice that no one seems at all upset about the obviously commercial
> spam (even to me, a non-chinese speaker [1]) sent from netvigator.com by
> way of hkstar.com, in chinese.  (this seems especially odd as that
> spammer very obviously tried to hide his/her identity)  Does spam only
> offend if it is legible by the recipient?  Is the real offense in spam
> not the wasting of disk space (for truly, these aol spams are really
> very short things, individually) but the forcing of commercial
> thoughts into the heads of the recipient.

No, it's just that I assumed it was someone trying to get help in chinese ;-).
I am sure most other people skipped the message on the same grounds.  The
offense of spam is that if you don't stop it in time, your bandwidth and hd
space *will* be wasted.  The latest stats show that 80% ( i might be a little
off on this) of usenet traffic is spam and spam cancels.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com