grep problems hamm

I first want to say that I am very pleased with the hamm release.
It had a latest version of everything that I needed with no
need to put any programs in usr/local thanks.

However...

I am having a problem with grep.  I can't get it to output ANYTHING!
No matter what I try it just returns to me in a split second.  This
happens both with I specify files and when I use stdin or a pipe.

I installed hamm fresh via ftp with out any trace of the old debain
except for file I saved in my home dir.  Also, today a hole bunch of
packages updated themselves via dpkg-ftp.

I believe grep was working before the update today but I am not sure.

If it is relevant I also recompiled the kernel (2.0.33) with ip_masq
support.