Re: Slink [was: Re: Debian Hamm & Dselect]

On Thu, Apr 02, 1998 at 12:49:55PM +0200, Florian Attenberger wrote:
> Its not just this easy. I did it and upadated all packages. AND compiled
> my kernel with gcc 2.8.1 Result: Any graphics where fucked. (XFree86,
> SVGAtextmode, SVGAlib)
>
> Then i downgraded to gcc 2.7.x -> Everything works fine again.
>
> I don't know, why this could happen. Maybe gcc 2.8.1 does not compile the
> kernel properly or some libs where fucked.

My current understanding of this problem is this:
The "ioport.c" file in the kernel was written using the gcc documentation on
the workings of its optimisation code. That documentation currently does not
reflect gcc's internal workings accurately. Linus wants the gcc developers
to decide which is wrong: the documentation or the code.

You can circumvent the problem by using "ioport.c" from a recent 2.1.x
kernel.

HTH,
Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch