Re: .ps or .pdf editing app

Hi,

	I used to edit raw postscript (writing display postscript on
 an old unix box), and I used emacs+postscript mode. (I fail to see
 how the fonts one uses in the postscript program has anything to do
 with the editor).

	However, if you need to edit machine generated postscript
 using something that parses it, presents it to you, and re-generates
 postscript, Umm, I don't know if there is any such beast out there.

	Postscript is a fairly complete programming language, and it
 only a postscript engine can understand what the output should look
 like. By the time the engines is done, you have a description of each
 non-background pixel on the page (some hidden behind others and so
 on). Umm, to get the text back you need to run an OCR on the
 data. Also, an elegant 5 lines of postscript code can generate fairly
 complex final output, so it is as hard to reverse engineer postscript
 as is C++. What I am bumbling around trying to say is that this is
 quite hard. I have never seen a product, on any OS, that does
 something like this.

	Having said that, I realize that a dozen people shall now jump
 out and prove how wrong I am, and that would answer your question.

	manoj
 who still has the red and blue books ;-).
--
 I think for the most part that the readership here uses the c-word in
 a similar fashion.  I don't think anybody really believes in a new,