xdm -- multiple (3) servers need "xrefresh" because :0 goes gray.

So I needn't end my xdm session when I get up and my wife uses Linux, I run
three X servers under xdm.  For this, I have within /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
   :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 :0
   :1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt8 :1
   :2 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt9 :2
Usually, on booting, :0 starts, then :1 in 30 seconds, then :2 in 120 seconds.
When :1 and :2 start, the screen switches to :1 or :2, which presents no
problem since I switch back to :0 with <ctrl><alt><f7>.  UNFORTUNATELY, the :0
screen is now all grey, except for an impotent cursor.

If I have logged into :0, I can clear up the grey with "xrefresh";
otherwise I must enter "kill -HUP the-X-process-for-0".
I thought I might solve this with a similar "kill" entry in each of
/etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup_1, Xstartup_2, Xstartup_0.  Unfortunately this didn't
work for any of
        kill -SIGINT `pidof X`       #NOPE, locked terminal?
        kill -SIGUSR1 `pidof X`      #NOPE, leaves gray
        kill -SIGHUP `pidof X`	     #NOPE, leaves gray
        kill -SIGHUP `pidof xdm`     #NOPE, leaves gray

Inconveniently, to prevent this "gray" screen, whenever I reboot, I now toggle
to each of F7, F8, and F9.

Can you think of a better solution to this?

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,		Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@mnsinc.com	http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson

"It is not the shortcomings of others, nor what others have done or not
 done that one should think about, but what one has done or not done oneself."
--Dhammapada   ["dp" command for quotes from the Dhammapada, in Linux]