Re: smail (again..... sheesh..)

Michael Beattie writes:
> If you use a smarthost, then the mail that they send for you is not
> rejected, as their "HELO [domain]" is valid, it can be found on the
> DNS. whereas mine is not. is this right?

In my limited experience, mail servers always accept HELO from non-existent
domains.  I find this surprising.

> I gather that when visible_name is set to your ISP, i.e. win.bright.net,
> or in my case es.co.nz , then you appear as if you are masquerading as
> your ISP.

No, I'm just telling them that the mail originated in my isp's domain.
The HELO supposedly tells them who I am.

> this is not using a smarthost

That's irrelevant.

No.  With smail, it's $user@visible_name if visible name is set, else it is
$user@$host.  As far as I know, it is only used for returning bounces.

> Another question, is visible_name the name used in the HELO [domain]
> line?

hostname is used on the HELO line.
--
John Hasler