Re: smail (again..... sheesh..)

On 4 Mar 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> I wrote:
> > I have one [a valid hostname].  It just makes things worse, since it isn't
> > in my isp's domain.
>
> Michael Beattie writes:
> > I gather you mean a valid domain as in being in the DNS?
>
> Yes.

Okay...

> > True, but I meant in the situation that with visible_name set to my ISP,
> > I would not have to use a smarthost for spam-rejecting sites,...
>
> smart_host has to do with outgoing mail.  So far as I know it has no
> relevance to spam.

I think it does... in a broader sense.. If you use a smarthost, then the
mail that they send for you is not rejected, as their "HELO [domain]" is
valid, it can be found on the DNS. whereas mine is not. is this right?

> > ...as it would appear you are masquerading as your ISP,
>
> smart_host just hands off delivery to the smarthost so that their
> well-connected machine can do the address lookup, delivery, retries, etc.
> The message still goes out with your address.

Yes, that I understand, but what I was trying to say is that I gather that
when visible_name is set to your ISP, i.e. win.bright.net, or in my case
es.co.nz , then you appear as if you are masquerading as your ISP. Am I
right saying that? (this is not using a smarthost)

> > ..And using a smarthost, visible_name could be set to your machine's
> > name.
>
> The reverse.  If you don't use smart_host you will be delivering every
> message directly to the addressed host.  If your address resolves they will
> accept the message.  Many will accept it even if the address doesn't
> resolve.  When you use smart_host, though, you are asking your ISP to relay
> for you.  This causes them to suspect that you might be a spammer, so they
> may refuse the message unless the MAIL FROM: address is within their
> domain.

okay, this I did not know. I guess I would have to try my ISP..
the MAIL FROM: line is your email address right? so if mine is
mickyb@es.co.nz , which it is, my ISP should send it out without a problem
right?

Another question, is visible_name the name used in the HELO [domain] line?
or is it used for more or less than that?

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)