Re: Kernel Install

Carroll Kong

> tar zpfxv linux_2.0.33.tar.gz

technically you forgot..

cd /usr/include
rm -rf asm linux scsi
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-386 asm
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi

> cd linux
> make mrproper
> make menuconfig
> make dep
> make clean
> make zlilo

you also did not seem to check /etc/lilo.conf

> make modules
> make modules_install
> reboot
>
> Now, on ANY other machine.. doing a uname -a or checking /proc/version I'd
> have Linux 2.0.33 blah lah lah... But not on this box... it's still saying
> 2.0.29. Now I left the machine running for an hour.. and still.. 2.0.29..
> so I rebooted.. still 2.0.29.. I copied the kernel I compiled to a disk
> and boot the disk in another machine.. kernel 2.0.33. Now I check the
> 'screwed' machine by attacking it with land/teardrop to see if it was just
> a version screw up and it was really running 2.0.33 just not reporting
> it.. and it bombed.

you mean you thought it was running 2.0.33.... because uname -a isn't going to
lie on you.  If uname -a says 2.0.29... you can immediately start thinking
something about this box is different, the computer isnt' going to change
kernels on you.  Try different methods of approach to solve the problem then,
your solutions of leaving it on for an hour did not help, but your land /
teardrop was a good way to confirm the kernel.

> so it's still running 2.0.29. does anyone hve ANY
> ideas about this? I have recompiled, reinstalled, reunpacked and
> redownloaded the kernel multiple times and it still will nt update.

This is how I would do it.. make zImage instead of make zlilo.

*backup /vmlinuz, most likely a link to /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.29, to something like
/boot/vmlinuz.old*

cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /vmlinuz

*consider copying to /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.33 then recreating the /vmlinuz symlink*

*check /etc/lilo.conf, make sure it is pointing to the right hd and /vmlinuz*

lilo

*check date of /vmlinuz or wherever dest file is.  Since the dest file is
/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.29, you might want to change it when you confirm it's file
size and date is different and than vmlinuz.old*

then reboot.  on the other hand, you can check /etc/lilo.conf first... then run
make zlilo.  (considering the other steps as well)

Hope this helps.