Re: forwarded message from Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella

Hi,
>>"Luiz" == Luiz Otavio L Zorzella <zorzella@conexware.com> writes:

Luiz> I posted this question in debian-user list, and was advised to
Luiz> post in this list, because you have supposedelly just decided to
Luiz> remove from the .deb packages a feature that would allow this to
Luiz> be accomplished.

	Firstly, it was decided that to implement the feature, we
 would need data in a different format than was previously included in
 the packages. We just have not yet put the solution into the policy
 document yet (we do have an implementation).

	In the meanwhile, instead of dpkg -l; try this; used with no
 arguments, it gives the size of all installed packages,

__> ./pkg-size.pl
gnushogi:                                       560
libhdf4g-dev:                                   906
wdiff:                                           58
 [snipped]

	With a space separated list pf package names; it gives:

__>  ./pkg-size.pl  make gcc lynx
lynx:                                          1269
make:                                           305
gcc:                                           4968

	I hope this is satisfactory in the interim.

	manoj

--
 He who utters only gentle, instructive and truthful speech,
 criticising no-one - that is what I call a brahmin. 408

#! /usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use diagnostics;

use vars qw(%Need);
my $select = 0;

for (@ARGV) {
  $select = 1;
  $Need{$_} = 1;
}

$/="";
open (PKGS, "/var/lib/dpkg/status") || die "Could not read status: $!";
my $size = 0;
 while (<PKGS>) {
   next unless m/Status: install ok installed/o;
   my ($pkg)  = m/Package:\s*(\S+)/io;
   my ($size) = m/Installed-Size:\s*(\d+)/io;
   next unless $pkg;
   next unless $size;
   if ($select) {
     next unless $Need{$pkg};
   }
   print "$pkg:",  " " x (50 - length($pkg) - length($size)), "$size\n";
 }
__END__