Re: Lee: Re: smail Solution for Dynamic IP's

I am not sure whether this can help you at all (or whether it has been
brougth up before), but the following hack, posted to a debian list a
long time ago, works for me in rewriting headers with smail.

I am using my university account to connect to the internet, and I
want all replies (regardless of who sent it locally) to arrive at that
account.

This is the smtp entry from my `/etc/smail/routers' file:

smtp:	driver=tcpsmtp,
 	remove_header="From",
 	insert_header="From: lynbech@daimi.aau.dk ($sender_name on satellite)",
	max_addrs=100, 			# limit on number of addresses
	-max_chars,
	inet;				# use route-addr addresses for routing
	-use_bind, 			# resolve MX and multiple A records
	defer_no_connect, 		# try again if the nameserver is down
	-local_mx_okay, 		# fail an MX to the local host
	defnames			# use standard domain searching

Note the remove_header/insert_header lines.

I am using smail 3.2.0.92-1.

Christian Lynbech          | Telebit Communications A/S
Phone: +45 8628 8176       | email: chl@tbit.dk --- URL: http://www.tbit.dk