Re: Terminal server

Setting up the Linux boxes should be pretty easy. A few questions though: do
you want to support 'shell' dialups or PPP dialups or both? Radius may be a
problem. As I understand this (and there are others on this list who know a
lot more about radius+linux) there is no debian client support. If you're only
worried about authentication (ie. you don't need the logging) you could, as a
stop-gap, simply add the accounts to /etc/passwd or /etc/ppp/pap-secrets on
each system. Even with this method you'll be able to get the logging that
RADIUS can provide but you'll have to awk/grep it out of the log files
yourself.

In terms of the nuts and bolts, you'll want to install the mgetty package.
You'll need to edit /etc/inittab and add lines for each modem you've
connected. You'll handle modem setup (if any is needed) by edit /etc/mgetty/*.
You'll add the accounts either to /etc/passwd (if you need shell account
access) or /etc/ppp/pap-secrets (if you need PPP accounts) or both.

Chuck Peters wrote:

> Our livingston PM2e (30 port) has gone catatonic on us as we were
> attempting to renumber the IP's to move over to our new connectivity
> provided by West Chester Univ.  I have a trouble ticket into Livingston,
> but I fear we may have to ship the Port Monster back to livingston and
> experience an extended down time.  I have a couple of linux boxes set up
> their and could easily install 4 or more modems as a temporary measure.
> The Port Monster (cthulhu.ccil.org) and the BSDi 3.1 Box (locke.ccil.org)
> use radius to authenicate logins.  The problem is I haven't set up
> radius before and I would like to have the Linux boxes act as the terminal
> servers for the BSD box.  Can this be done and how do I do it?
>
> Chester County Interlink is a non profit organization, so if some of you
> high priced consultants out their would like to donate some time to help,
> it is tax deductable.  Furthermore Eric Raymond is one of the co-founders
> of CCIL and you should all read his paper analyzing traditional corporate
> software development vs Linux software development.  The paper "The
> Cathedral and the Bazaar"  can be found at
> http://earthspace.net/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck Peters
>
> CCIL System Admin