system crashes

I am a relatively new user of Debian Linux, and am trying to determine the
cause of a couple crashes that have occured during the past month.  I am
running Debian version 1.3 on a dual-processor Pentium II machine.  On two
occasions the screen froze up and I could not login remotely to
investigate the problem, so I had to reset.  Can any one give me some
suggestions on how to begin tracking down the cause?
Thank you very much,
Ken