modprobe: Cannot locate module char-major-10

I have searched the mailing list archives for this problem, and I
understand it can be solved by aliasing module char-major-10 to off, but
I would like to understand what is going on. (It is not really a
problem, because in spite of the message everything seems to work.)

The problem appeared on my box when I upgraded from the Debian hamm
kernel 2.0.34 to a 2.0.36 kernel straight from linux. The only relevent
difference in the configuration of these kernels seems to be:

diff -u /boot/config-2.0.34 /usr/src/linux-2.0.36/.config
 #
 # Character devices
 #
-CONFIG_SERIAL=m
+CONFIG_SERIAL=y

In human language: The Debian 2.0.34 configured the serial support as a
module, whereas I included it into the 2.0.36 kernel itself.  It seems
that, even when the serial support is included into the kernel,
'somebody' still wants to access it as a module, but I can't find who,
where and why.

Can somebody explain what is going on?  Thanks in advance.

--
Jeroen N. Witmond ( mailto:jnw@xs4all.nl http://www.xs4all.nl/~jnw/ )

This message was composed in a Micro$oft-free environment.