Re: xserver-s3v package

Wakko Warner wrote:

> --quote--
>  This package provides an X server suitable for use with video cards based
>  on the S3 ViRGE chipset. In most cases, use of this X server is deprecated
>  in favor of the SVGA X server.
> --quote--
>
> Is there a reason use of this package is deprecated?  What can the svga x
> server package do that this one can't?

	I'll give this a shot, but its been a long time since I read this
(somewhere).  Xfree has what they call the XAA, X acceleration architecture.
XAA is in the SVGA xserver.  This code provides a generic API for accelerating
different video cards.  Xfree will at some point in the future attempt to
provide one xserver (SVGA?) for many of the cards that currently have their
own xserver (like S3), i.e. several of the specific video card xservers will
go away eventually.  Try digging in /etc/doc/xserver-s3 (whatever) and find
the README.* there.  It might have the explanation.  I can't remember where I
read this.

--
Ed C.