Re: Help. System dies after 4-5 hours with message: Aiee ...

On Fri, 25 Dec 1998, Daniel Mashao wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, Jim Foltz wrote:
>
> > Daniel,
> >
> > I think this is a kernel issue, and more specifically related to
> > multiprocessing (using more than a single cpu.) You might ask in the
> > kernel discussion group or mailing list.
> >
> Thanks for the suggestion. I have searched on the web for "Aiee
> scheduling" and all that I find is requests for help but nothing about the
> solution. The machine is not a multiprocessor it is a single processor
> system. Alll mother five Debian system including a multiprocessor running
> developmental kernel 2.1.130 are working fine except this one machine.

I missed this original post but there were issues up to and including
2.1.130 on kernels compiled UP (SMP=1 commented out in the top level
kernel makefile). The symptom was that no new processes could start, they
were all stuck in the scheduler.  I have been running .131 with two
patches with great result here. I suggest .131 with the page-cache patch
from Stephen Tweedie and another called "swapin-readahead-8.patch" that I
think came from Rik but I am not certain.  I can give you the patches if
you like.

.127-.130 with the "UP Flu" will cause the system to run fine for a while
depending on load. It might be anywhere from a few hours to a day or so
and then the load average will go through the roof. Running programs will
be OK but nothing new can be started and the situation degrades from
there. The problem was introduced in pre-127-3, as I remember it and
cleared in .131 (.130 with a patch)

I have three systems running the patched .131 since 13 Dec without any
problems. This has been the most stable of the devel kernels for me and
with the performance patches, the speediest too. According to Alan COx,
Linus' vm is almost as good as Tweedie's but Linus is closing the gap so
Alan is still using Tweedie's version. I generally dont run the ac patches
because they tend to be more unstable so I just applied Tweedie's patch to
.131 and have left it at that.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!