Modem trouble, Please help!!

Semi-successful slink install to a laptop.

On setup reboot, pppconfig ran and I setup my ISP, dialed in and was trying
to get the dselect access configured when I suddenly got the following
error:

Usage: /sbin/getty [-hiLmw] [-l login_program] [-t timeout] [-I initstring]
line baud_rate,... line [termtype] or [-hiLmw] [-l login_program] [-t
timeout] [-I initstring] line baud_rate,... [termtype]

This repeats about five or six times (scrolls too fast to read the first
few), then I see:

INIT: Id "S" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Then every 5 minutes, I see the same thing again.

I looked at /sbin/getty and didn't see anything that would indicate where to
set this, can't get the manpages until I get online, the FAQ-O-MATIC didn't
say anything about this and the list archives came up dry.

Where do I set the "spawn" time for Id "S"?  What are the standard settings
for spawn time?  Does someone have a web page or HOWTO that I might have
overlooked that addresses this?

- BOHICA