Aladdin Ghostscript 5.50

I have been trying to get my dot-matrix Panasonic KX-P1123 printer to
work all night. After re-compiling the Kernel again, my printer prints
regular ASCII text fine.  Through Netscape, I just get a bunch of
garbage. (Well, real words but they don't make sense).

After reading numerous HOW-TO's I discovered I need to use a program
called Ghostscript to emulate Postscript.  I have downloaded the unix
version of postscript. (I guess I needed the unix one, the only other
ones were the mac and ms-dos/win versions)

I extracted ghostscript-5.50.tar in /usr/src/gs5.50
Now I have loads of C-source code and stuff. The HTM documentation goes
all over the place talking about makefiles and stuff. I'm relatively new
at Linux, so that lost me. I tried "make" "make install" "gcc gs.c -o
gs" none of it helped.

I'm stuck. What should I do now?