(null) as hostname, shell, etc.

I have a fairly simple Debian distrib (mostly hamm) on a computer that I
can't get to physically. Yesterday, when I attempted to login I got

(null) login:

I entered my username and pass then I was disconnected. I have ssltelent
and ssleay installed and was telneting in un-encrypted. Now when i attempt
to telnet in I get the attached error message. If I finger a user (I
changed to somebody to keep some security) I get (null) in the info.
(attached).

The power went out last night where the computer is and I was able to
login. Thinking it was a freak accident I didn't attempt to figure out
what went wrong. The syslog has no errors in it except for Sendmail [some
number]: (null):(null). Anyway, it's happened again! I'm hoping the
power
will flicker (I'm in Mississippi and we've got freezing rain) again so I
can get in. Does anyone what could be going on. I'm know for a fact that
every computer on the network it is on has been hacked in to and the
computer was a target about a week ago, but they seemed unsuccessful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Craig Hodges
chodges@mars-hotel.com
(Please e-mail me back directly... I'm not on the usser list)

copernicus.astronomers.org
Trying 208.152.184.55...
Connected to copernicus.astronomers.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
Generating temp (512 bit) RSA key ...
Generation of temp (512 bit) RSA key done
Assigned temp (512 bit) RSA key
Error loading (null)/(null): 22695:error:02001002:system library:fopen:system lib:bss_file.c:270
22695:error:20072002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:271
22695:error:02001002:system library:fopen:system lib:ssl_rsa.c:125
22695:error:140C3002:SSL routines:SSL_use_certificate_file:system lib:ssl_rsa.c:126
do_ssleay_init() failed
Connection closed by foreign host.

[astronomers.org]
Login: someone       			Name: someone's name
Directory: /home/someone	        Shell: (null)
Last login (null) on (null) from (null)
No mail.
No Plan.