Re: apt-get... how to peruse list of packages?

Jesse Evans writes:
> Although I think that apt-get does a better job at installing new and
> maintaining current packages, I find I still need to use dselect to view
> the list of what's available.

> Is there a simpler method of searching the packages list and choosing
> items for apt-get?

'Packages' is just a text file.  You can use all the usual text tools on
it.  For example, I have a little script that uses ptx and awk to generate
a permuted index showing every 'Description:' line containing a specified
word.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)