Quick fix + reliable editor?

Can anyone help me with a quick fix?

For various inane reasons, I'm demonstrating the possibility of using
multiple, mutually-inclusive mail-readers under Linux -- mail, mailx, elm,
pine, mutt, tkmail, exmh, etc.

So far, so good; except that yesterday I demonstrated exmh without first
making a copy of my mailbox file (/var/spool/mail/<user>). So exmh has now
taken 2500+ mail messages and converted them into separate files, which I
somehow very quickly have to get back into a monobloc form in mailbox
readable format (i.e chained together with an extra <cr> added between
each -- and I don't know of any way to do this using cat or more/less).
Anyome got a handy sed/awk/perl script to do this; or any any other
quick-fix suggestion?

Second query (related; but not urgent): does anyone know of a _known_
reliable large-file text editor?  One which will handle 10, 15, 25 Mb text
files without hiccup, doing search-&-replace on the whole file without
barfing, screwing up the file, etc.?  (Something like Programmer's File
Editor, but running under Linux).  It must be known to be reliable -- i.e.
tried and trusted in real-life experience, not just "this should do the
job".  (I've been caught like that before! :(

TIA

msw
--
Martin Wheeler   -    StarTEXT, Glastonbury, Somerset, England - BA6 9PH
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                       http://www.startext.co.uk/