Re: New IBM sendmail replacement will be free and open source

> that is none other than Vmailer from Wietse Venema, which other than
> having a truely scary name fit for a vampire, has something personal
> against Dan Bernstein and Qmail. He's very active on BugTraq, and
> seems to know what he's doing most of the time, but his attitude and
> few errors I have seen him get caught in, pushed me away from trying
> Vmailer.

for what it's worth i've been watching wietse and djb have it out on
bugtraq (and other places) for quite a couple years.  in general i think
wietse has shown immense self control and reasonableness under fairly
extreme attack.  i've avoided using qmail because i think djb is *such* an
unpleasant person to deal with (note: i've never dealt with him personally
just watched him deal with other people on lists etc) and he is fairly
widely recognised for being a little "overly opinionated", though no one
doubts he technical abilities.

as best as i have been able to tell the story is this.  djb and wietse
both did a lot of the initial coding on qmail and then had a falling out
due to differing opinions on how unix security should be implemented.  djb
has now taken it to be is life long mission to publicly fault wietse for
any and everything that can be.  i've seen him publicly slammed for being
a jerk almost everytime by nearly everyone.

i really like what i've seen of wietse and vmailer/postfix and am very
hopefull that it will mature into my replacement for sendmail (i
especially like the queuing philosopy, it's great and fills a gaping hole
in what sendmail provides).

adam.

ps. i make no claim to know the full story but the above is how i've
interpreted what i've seen.