Can't print using ghostscript.

    On my Debian hamm distribution I am trying to print simple Latex
documents to my dot matrix ESCP2 Epson ActionPrinter 5000+ .  I create
an ASCII text file with the proper latex file commands and save it to
the filename test.tex . Then I issue the following commands:

% latex test.tex
% dvips test.dvi   -o  test.ps
% gs  -sDEVICE=epson  -r360x180   test.ps
Aladdin Ghostscript 3.33 (4/10/1995)
Copyright (C) 1995 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.  All rights
reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING for details.
/usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/n021003l.pfb... 1750128 442092 1320152 24781
1 done.
>>showpage, press <return> to continue<<

    The above output is produced but no data seems to be piped to the
printer. Nothing happens.  I hit return and and the GS>  prompt
appears.  If I recall correctly the Aladdin web site states that the
device "epson" will work with all epson dot matrix printers and the
-r360x180  is used for 24 pin resolution. My printer prints just fine
when it comes to issuing the lpr command and nice ASCII text is
produced. But being a high school math teacher I need to be able to
print math expressions.  The latex output looks fine when I view it
using xdvi or after converting it to postscript the output looks fine as
well in Ghostview. But trying to view a hard copy is another story. If
this will help here is my printcap file :

# /etc/printcap: printer capability database. See printcap(5).
# You can use the filter entries df, tf, cf, gf etc. for
# your own filters. See the printcap(5) manual page for further
# details.

lp|epson|Generic dot-matrix printer entry
        :lp=/dev/lp1
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct
        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs