Gnome Not working in Slink upgrade

Just tried a new slink upgrade, again.  I must have something wrong
because I can't get gnome to upgrade correctly.

when I run panel or eeyes I get the message:

libgtk-1.1.so.2 cannot open shared object file: no such file or
directory

I do have libgtk-1.1.so.3 & libgtk-1.1.so.1 but no libgtk-1.1.so.2.

Everything _but_ gnome and its apps _seem_ to be running.

Does 'anyone' have gnome running on slink?  If so, I wonder what is
wrong with the depends (and on What?).

TIA

Wayne

--
Real computer scientists don't program in assembler.  They don't write
in anything less portable than a number two pencil.