Moving partition

I have no more space left on my /dev/hda2 partition which is mounted on /
I have a swap partition /dev/hda3
I can create a bigger partition (say /dev/hdb7) to temporary move my root directory. I also can
create a new swap partition (/dev/hdb5)

Can I do this :
1 - Initialise /dev/hdb5 as a swap partition (How to do this ? I always did this at the
      installation time !)
2 - Initialise /dev/hdb7 (Do I have to format it since it has been created with fdisk under linux ?)
3 - mount /dev/hdb7 to /roottmp for example and copy all files from root to roottmp
      (is a cp -r for all interesting directories sufficiant, in order to keep all the links ?)
4 - Rebooting with /dev/hdb7 as root partition
5 - Fusioning old swap (dev/hda3) and /dev/hda2 in order to get a bigger partition
6 - Copying all files from root (now /dev/hdb7) to the new bigger partition (dev/hda2)
7 - Mounting /dev/hda2 to root
8 - Writing to debian-user : "big problem with my linux box"

So, if you can avoid me to through the step 8...I would be very happy

Thanks
Franck

Franck Le Gall
147, rue basse - 14000 Caen