Re: installing onto second hard drive

Thanks all for quick responses.

Andrew Ivanov wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Andrew Catton wrote:
>
> > <include newbie qualification here>, but I am not sure if the
> > instructions for installing Debian from a DOS partition apply if I would
> >
> > like to install it (exclusively) on a second hard drive from the
> > download I have stored on my first drive (which contains Win95).  If
> > not, what might the such a task entail?  Is there any risk to the data
> > on my Win95 drive?
>
> You are perfectly safe, if you are worried about your Win files.
> This is how I installed, I have 2 drives. C is Win, D is Linux.
> Since you accumulated packages on the C drive, move them into a single
> directory and, whenever you are promped for files during installation,
> point to /dev/hda1/DirectoryWithDebianFiles

I'm not sure how to do this:  the choices I see seem only to include floppies,
CD-ROM, and the drive I am installing Debian onto.  trying to enter
/dev/hda1/debian (this is definitely the correct drive, partition, etc) in any
of the given choices doesn't work...
Should I run install.bat from DOS? (I tried that and it didn't work either --
loadlin couldn't find nec. image)

> I'm guessing that /dev/hda1 is your Win partition, though. It should be.
> And there is no danger to Win95 files....UNLESS you decide to get funky
> and cfdisk your C drive. But you shouldnt, if you know what you are doing.
> So proceed with installation with no fear, nothing will get hurt.
>
> HTH,
>  Andrew
> Never include a comment that will help | Andrew Ivanov
> someone else understand your code.     | c680789@showme.missouri.edu
> If they understand it, they don't      | ICQ: 12402354
> need you.

  Another thing I have a question about:

    When I partitioned dev/hdb with cfdisk, Windows locked up (seemed to be
looking for d:) after being fully booted (though not in safe mode).  d: (
/dev/hdb ) was previously partitioned with DOS fdisk -- and Win worked fine
again when I repartitioned it with fdisk.  I'm obviously doing something
stupid here -- what might it be?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Catton