Re: installing onto second hard drive

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Andrew Catton wrote:

> <include newbie qualification here>, but I am not sure if the
> instructions for installing Debian from a DOS partition apply if I would
>
> like to install it (exclusively) on a second hard drive from the
> download I have stored on my first drive (which contains Win95).  If
> not, what might the such a task entail?  Is there any risk to the data
> on my Win95 drive?

You are perfectly safe, if you are worried about your Win files.
This is how I installed, I have 2 drives. C is Win, D is Linux.
Since you accumulated packages on the C drive, move them into a single
directory and, whenever you are promped for files during installation,
point to /dev/hda1/DirectoryWithDebianFiles
I'm guessing that /dev/hda1 is your Win partition, though. It should be.
And there is no danger to Win95 files....UNLESS you decide to get funky
and cfdisk your C drive. But you shouldnt, if you know what you are doing.
So proceed with installation with no fear, nothing will get hurt.

HTH,
 Andrew
Never include a comment that will help | Andrew Ivanov
someone else understand your code.     | c680789@showme.missouri.edu
If they understand it, they don't      | ICQ: 12402354
need you.                              |