Re: Loosing communicator file

> I did exactly steps 1 through 4 again and this time got an error
> message saying the file had to be owned by root.  Does that mean I
> have to download the file while signed in as root?

No you don't have to, though I you can if you want.

> I was in root during the attempt at installation.  I was not in root
> during the download.

This is correct.  Which directory did you download the file to?

> It seems to me if I can't move a file from one directory to another
> there must be something wrong.  I put: mv communicator (I then hit
> tab) /usr it seems to me, from what I read, I am doing it correctly
> but it doesn't work, this is maddening.

What error message did you get?  Did you move it as root?  And perhaps
I should mention that "/usr" is probably not the best place to move it
to.  A better place might be to "/root" or perhaps to "/usr/local".

> The only thing I have been able to do by myself is install the root
> and get my mouse to work.  After three weeks and with five books.

It takes a while to get the hang of things, but you'll get there.
Have you had another go at getting X to work.  It sounded before like
you were almost there.  (You'll need to get X working before netscape
will work.)

> 1. Download the installer and dependancy packages for Netscape.
> 2. Download Netscape communicator 4.,5 from Netscape website.

Suppose you were downloading as the user "kent".  Then download the file
somewhere in the "kent" home directory, eg you could just download it
into "/home/kent".

> 3. Place the actual netscape source code (13M or so) into /tmp

To do this you would (as root) do:

   cp /home/kent/communicator[TAB] /tmp

where doing the [TAB] should complete the file name for you (if it beeps
at you it means it can't complete the file name, either because you've
typed in the start of the file wrong, or because there is more than one
file which it could complete it to.)